Wednesday 2 May 2012

They say we are in a double-dip recession at the moment - all I can say is that it seems not to be affecting my work-load which is steadily rising. I am now quoting a 7-month turn-round....
This seems also to be the case with other colleagues I talk to who say that, while sales for 'run-of-the-mill' clocks are still depressed (or stagnant at best, though sales of top quality ones seem to be holding up well), repair work is pouring in.
In my case the increase in turn-round time is (I admit) partly due to a bereavement in the family, and the work involved in clearing the flat and being an executor of the will - and spending about a full day tidying up while trying to find my driving licence and the copy I had just had certified to send to the solicitor, which eventually turned up when I pulled out last months Horological Journal! -  but even without this I would be getting more than I can get through. It does mean that I can be more selective in the work I take on of course..
Interesting work that I have recently taken on includes a movement with a twin-roller, single-wheel variant of the Gautier dead-beat escapement, a Russian marine chronometer with 'a broken escapement' (this I have not yet seen but have said I will certainly look at and assess), an elaborate Fitzroy barometer for a major restoration, another marine chronometer, and an Atmos clock (I love these - the action is so delicate...).
Some recent highlights have included a bracket clock with most of the time train on a platform on the bottom of the back plate - controlled by a Massey type 3 lever escapement (for which I had to make a replacement lever!), an R.E.D. traveling timepiece clock with a 2-plane lever escapement (as in Allix & Bonnert's 'Carriage Clocks' page 213/4) and one of the old 8-day swinging 'Elephant' mystery clocks - I am a sucker for unusual escapements!
Ah well - back to the bench!

No comments:

Post a Comment